A little more confusion with Intel

Friendly reminder: https://github.com/J-Gras/intel-seen-more :wink:

Jan

Hahaha! Sorry, I forgot about that already!

I had a thought about it too, what do you think about changing Intel::EFFECTIVE_DOMAIN to Intel::EFFECTIVE_TLD? Seems like it makes sense since the TLD is what you end up matching with this and it fits James' use case correctly.

.Seth

To be honest, I just wrote the POC down without giving a thought to naming. Quick recap: In the example of "www.yahoo.com", the TLD is ".com". For "www.yahoo.co.uk" the TLD is ".uk". Now you introduced the package to obtain the 'effective TLD', which would be ".co.uk" - technically a 2nd-level domain. But actually, we want to match against "yahoo.co.uk". Maybe one could call that the 'effective SLD/2LD'. So in case of changing, I would tend to use Intel::EFFECTIVE_SLD. However, to me this seems a bit counter intuitive.

Jan

Hah! You're exactly right and apparently I didn't think deeply enough when I was writing my email too. I think EFFECTIVE_DOMAIN is better and it matches the function being called in the domain-tld package. It's been quite a while since I looked at that.

Thanks,
   .Seth

I think EFFECTIVE_DOMAIN is better and
it matches the function being called in the domain-tld package.

FWIW, sometimes the term "registered domain" is used for this.

Vern

Thanks Gents,

Looks like the intel-seen-more may fix the problem..I'll test and report my findings.

James

Ah, I hadn't heard of that before but that does seem like a much more obvious name. The "effective tld" thing was derived from it's usage at Mozilla for some Firefox stuff and I repurposed it for effective domain, but I do like registered domain better.

.Seth