Bro 2.3 command line problem.

When running Bro 2.1 from the command line with this command:

bro -r myPackets.pcap

all is well.

Trying the same thing from Bro 2.3:

bro -r myPackets.pcap

results in:

internal error: Broxygen can't get mtime of bro binary : No such file or directory
   Aborted

If, however, one uses this command:

/home/myAccount/bro2.3/bin/bro -r myPackets.pcap

all is again OK.

Note that the /home/myAccount/bro2.3/bin directory is in my path, which was changed from the similar Bro 2.1 directory when Bro 2.3 was installed. We're running Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.10 (Tikanga).

FWIW, I set up an account on the JIRA Bro issue tracker page, and could not find the "Create a new ticket" button, so I post this here, instead.

Trying the same thing from Bro 2.3:

bro -r myPackets.pcap

results in:

internal error: Broxygen can't get mtime of bro binary : No such file or directory
  Aborted

If, however, one uses this command:

/home/myAccount/bro2.3/bin/bro -r myPackets.pcap

all is again OK.

Note that the /home/myAccount/bro2.3/bin directory is in my path, which was changed from the similar Bro 2.1 directory when Bro 2.3 was installed.

What does `which bro` output? And what does `ls -l $(which bro)` output?

If the bro binary doesn’t have read permissions I think you may get an error like that. You might also check that the read/search permissions for path components are sane (a blunt way to ensure that would be something like `chmod -R +rX /home/myAccount/bro2.3`).

FWIW, I set up an account on the JIRA Bro issue tracker page, and could not find the "Create a new ticket" button, so I post this here, instead.

Once logged in, there should be a “Create” button in the top menu bar.

- Jon