A new Bro pre-release is now available from:
The most timely change is the addition of code-red.bro, which is a
stand-alone Bro module that records instances of Code Red attacks
(just the first seen per IP) in code-red.$BRO_ID, and logs local
instances of Code Red infectees to stdout (or to log.$BRO_ID, if
you "@load log"). You need to edit code-red.bro, or provide your
own version that's loaded in addition (via $BRO_PREFIXES), in order
to define the /16 and /24 nets corresponding to your local site,
as discussed in the comments at the beginning of the file.
Keep in mind that the code-red file is block-buffered, so if you
want to watch it in real time, you need to HUP Bro so that it flushes
A summary of other changes since 0.7a61 is appended.
* There is now a mostly-done-but-not-completely-done DNS analyzer.
* Related to it, two new built-in functions for converting between
IP addresses and in-addr.arpa Domain Names: ptr_name_to_addr and
* Bro no longer dies with a libpcap error if you're running it on
an interface that doesn't have an address assigned to it.
* Some bug fixes for matching empty regular expressions.
* Hooks added to http.bro for skipping alerts for URIs that are
accessed remotely (by local clients)
* The default analysis (i.e., that in mt.bro) now includes NTP.
* skip_scan_nets_16 lets you specify /16 networks that should not
be flagged when they scan you, analogous to skip_scan_nets_24.