Conceptual question on main.bro files

Hi,

I’m trying to better understand Bro’s architecture and what is the significance of the “main.bro” files in relation to the other .bro files? I’m guessing some heirarchal purpose, but I don’t see a “main.bro” file in every folder that contains a .bro file itself. Is someone able to better explain?

Thanks!

As far as I’m aware, main.bro isn’t actually special. It’s just a pseudo-standard (maybe a real standard, even) for a main/primary bro script for a folder/organizational area. What is special is load.bro. If you use @load to load a directory, it will look there for local.bro, and then follow whatever instructions it finds (@load or @load-sigs, for instance). You will sometimes find that load.bro has a @load ./main.bro statement in it. For instance: https://github.com/bro/bro/blob/master/scripts/base/frameworks/files/load.bro

So, for instance, if you go to local.bro, you will find @load tuning/defaults, then if you go to the tuning/defaults folder, you find a load.bro, which will be followed to load some bro scripts which are /not/ main.bro. In this situation, main.bro doesn’t exist for tuning/defaults, and that’s fine.

Another example is, go to local.bro, and find @load misc/detect-traceroute (commented out by default). But if you follow what would happen if this was uncommented, it would go to misc/detect-traceroute, load load.bro due to convention, and then the relative main.bro /is/ loaded because it’s specified in load.bro.

Hope that helps - also, please correct me if there is an actual main.bro convention anywhere that I’m not aware of.

Jon

That was a great description, and no, there is no formal standard around that. It's just a convention we started using a long time ago.

.Seth