First time Bro Cluster Spin up

Hi.

I am attempting to get a Bro cluster working and I get the following error for all my workers, (full output of diag below). “fatal error: /usr/local/bro/bin/bro: problem with interface dag0:42 - pcap_open_live: dag0:42: dag_open /dev/dag0: Permission denied”

Thoughts on what I am missing?

Config:

I have an Endace DAG8.1SX set up to run with 22 streams.

1 Server set up to have 22 instances of BRO workers on it

1 server set up as the manager and prox

Using libpcap-1.6.2

dag-5.2.0.

bro version 2.3.1

TS:

1. I have run the following command on both the worker and the manager/proxy servers.

sudo setcap cap_net_raw,cap_net_admin=eip /usr/local/bro/bin/bro

1. I can launch bro manually on the worker if I use sudo

acns-bro@endace:/usr/local/bro/bin$ sudo ./bro -i dag0:42

listening on dag0:42, capture length 8192 bytes

^C1416254260.140036 received termination signal

1416254260.140036 209 packets received on interface dag0:42, 0 dropped

1. Manipulated the user launching bro (acns-bro) group permissions to be in the adm group

FULL OUTPUT of DIAG:

BroControl] > diag worker-21

[worker-21]

Bro 2.3.1

Linux 3.13.0-39-generic

==== No reporter.log

==== stderr.log

[dag_open] dag_clone dagfd for dagiom: Permission denied

fatal error: /usr/local/bro/bin/bro: problem with interface dag0:42 - pcap_open_live: dag0:42: dag_open /dev/dag0: Permission denied

==== stdout.log

max memory size (kbytes, -m) unlimited

data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited

virtual memory (kbytes, -v) unlimited

core file size (blocks, -c) unlimited

==== .cmdline

-i dag0:42 -U .status -p broctl -p broctl-live -p local -p worker-21 local.bro broctl base/frameworks/cluster local-worker.bro broctl/auto

==== .env_vars

PATH=/usr/local/bro/bin:/usr/local/bro/share/broctl/scripts:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games

BROPATH=/usr/local/bro/spool/installed-scripts-do-not-touch/site::/usr/local/bro/spool/installed-scripts-do-not-touch/auto:/usr/local/bro/share/bro:/usr/local/bro/share/bro/policy:/usr/local/bro/share/bro/site

CLUSTER_NODE=worker-21

==== .status

TERMINATED [atexit]

==== No prof.log

==== No packet_filter.log

==== No loaded_scripts.log

Scott Dawson
ACNS Network Security

Colorado State University
970-297-3712

“chop wood carry water”

Dawson,

Do you have any other processes listening to those streams? Only one process can attach to each stream, and we usually see those types of errors when a Bro worker tries to attach to a stream that is already in use. This also happens if a process doesn’t cleanly release the stream, and, in our experience, requires a full reboot to clear.

v/r

You must be running this on Linux as a user other than root (good for you). Run this command on each of the cluster nodes:

setcap cap_net_raw,cap_net_admin=eip /opt/bro/bin/bro && setcap cap_net_raw,cap_net_admin=eip /opt/bro/bin/capstats

I'd give credit if I could recall where I found this, I found it on a website somewhere. I blame Seth Hall.

Note that you'll have to do this every time you push cluster config changes as well.

-- KS

Keith Schoenefeld
Information Security Analyst
Baylor University
254-710-6667

Thank you both John and Keith for the suggestions. I rebooted the server for good measure and re-ran the setcap command, with the same results in broctl.

worker-21 terminated immediately after starting; check output with “diag”

……

Diag worker-21

….

==== stderr.log

fatal error: /usr/local/bro/bin/bro: problem with interface dag0:42 - pcap_open_live: dag0:42: dag_open /dev/dag0: Permission denied

…….

Is anyone using an Endace card in there cluster? I am starting to suspect that the permissions issue has to do with how I am configuring and launching the capture card. I am going to reach out to their support organization and see if there is a way to launch the card as a non root user.

I am sure I can get all this working with root but I am trying to avoid that.

Thanks again

It was the Endace Capture card.

Just FYI, I run a DAG 9.2 here - in the past, I’ve run into situations where a crashing worker (or Snort process) will “lock” its stream. I usually do a cold power off in those situations, as a reboot didn’t always seem to clear it. I don’t know if that’s what you ran into, but it’s something to keep in mind anyway.

It’s not clear to me - did you manage to get it working as non-root then?

Mike

Mike,

Yes I did, or at least I don’t have to type sudo in front of the commands to launch and configure the endace card or bro anymore :slight_smile: .
I had to edit the file dagload and change the "group" from root to the group I was using.
I than had to change ownership on /dev/dag* and /usr/loca/bin/dag* files to the group also.

scott

"chop wood carry water"