Modbus protocol event handler for Bro

I appreciate you guys getting back to me, and I can also tell you that there is other interest in this out there based on off-list responses.

So, yes, Dynamic Protocol Detection (DPD) is the acronym that didn’t come to me last night. I’m relatively new to Bro, and unfortunately only have a cursory knowledge of the SCADA protocols I need to know about. But I do have access to about a terabyte of recorded pcaps of a mix of things on a production network, but most of it is SCADA related and primarily in Modbus, RockLink, and a couple other vendor versions of protocols. But as I said, non-standard ports so port triggering is probably not what I’m looking for (or we’re going to have a list of about 5000 different ports to trigger on).

As I understand it, there are a couple of methods to use for handling protocol anomalies and detecting malicious activities. One is to look at the protocol specs and see if you can identify a packet as valid or invalid for that protocol. Invalid packets show signs of fuzzing, misconfiguration, or malicious activity. Then there is identifying the “normal” traffic. Like matching one response to one request. If you get unsolicited “responses” for example, it may be a replay attack, misconfiguration, or other malicious activity.

Then the third (final?) step is to look at the actual legitimate traffic that matches up with the protocol and everything, but determine if it’s a malicious attempt to extract system information or sabotage critical infrastructure, by an insider for example, or by a malicious outsider who knows how to talk Modbus but is sending commands that are outside of normal operation. Lots of work has been done in that area to see if we can validate normal operation parameters and out-of-norm activities. The problem is, we can’t automate it on this dataset unless we can first identify an arbitrary packet as being a modbus packet or not.

Have I got that breakdown right? Is this similar to what others are looking for?

So I’m excited about being a brogrammer and I think this is as good a place for me to jump in as any. But I’m also very glad to hear more about the work that has already been done (and I don’t have to take on such a task alone from scratch). I’d like to offer myself as your beta tester/guinea pig. But there will be some minor hurdles to overcome with data sharing. Technically, our research grant has expired (ended in December) and I need to get permission from the corporate entity to continue to use their data for our testing, as well as carve out time from work and school duties to focus on this. But assuming all that works out, I look forward to helping out with this development effort.

Regards,
Michael

Hi Karl,

The DNP3 analyzer is included in the master branch of the Bro 2.2. So you can directly git bro source code, compile and build it. (http://www.bro.org/development/contribute.html). You are good to use it. I think that Bro 2.2-beta binary will be available for download later this week.

Best

Hugo