Question on using dir.zeek

I am a new user to Zeek. In our case we have an application that continually populates a directory with PCAP files which are then processed by our forensic tools. We’d like to be able to use zeek in a way where we can specify a directory where it would find its input PCAP files and process then as they come in. The closest I have seen on the zeek websites is on pages

and
https://docs.zeek.org/en/master/scripts/base/utils/dir.zeek.html
Are there examples of how I can get zeek to run to continually monitor, say, directory “/home/alan/pcaps” to process pcap files that get placed in that directory?

Many Thanks,
Alan

Welcome Alan,

Great question! There’s currently no (or at least no reasonably user-friendly) way to do this fully in Zeek because in order to process a new pcap file you’ll currently need to launch a new Zeek process. I suggest you script this outside of Zeek. A few suggestions:

• You could use something like the inotifywait tool to inform you when a file has been written to your input directory, and then launch Zeek on that pcap. This has the benefit of allowing you to adjust the invocation each time, for example to create logs in per-pcap output directories.

• If you know that the pcaps are chronologically sequential, you could use the same monitoring approach but have Zeek read packets from stdin, continuously writing the new packets into it. This has the benefit of Zeek running continuously, so you can maintain state across your pcaps. You might be able to build this out further with something like mergecap to help protect against out-of-order timestamps.

• If in addition to the previous point the timing information in the pcaps does not matter (which I suspect is unlikely), you could replay the arriving pcaps onto a network interface that is watched by a local cluster of Zeek processes, to parallelize the processing.

• There’s a Zeek package that provides support to submit pcaps to Zeek over TCP, which depending on your use case might also be helpful.

It’d be interesting to hear more about your solution, or if none of the above is workable for you. Expanding pcap support in the direction you’re requesting is something we’re currently looking into.

Best,
Christian