Using native PF_RING plugin with broctl

Yep, you are using the libpcap wrapper here, which is currently the only way to do clustered load balancing with PF_Ring unless you do that tiny change that Mark pointed out a minute ago. To get that more tightly integrated and configurable with broctl would take a bit more work, but as a hack that tiny change would work.

You can tell in your node.cfg if you are using the libpcap wrapper or the plugin by the interface name. If you have use an interface name like: pf_ring::eth1, then you are using the plugin and load balancing won't work. If you are just using an interface name like eth1 and lb_method=pf_ring, then you will be using the libpcap wrapper.

When the pf_ring developers contributed the pf_ring plugin, it seems that they didn't do full integration with the deployment method.

.Seth

Sorry, Seth, I didn’t send this to all and should have. Here was the email that Seth was referring to.

I’ll have to check later, but I was able to make the plugin work with some source mods, I think. I think I tested and was unable to get it to work natively using the broctl.conf changes that I sent to the list a few minutes ago.

I know there was some glitch that didn’t make it work out of the box, but I was able to modify the plugin and get it to work - just don’t have that code where I am now.

Ok - found the edits I made. Here are the diffs - however I have commented out the second (and most necessary piece of code):

diff bro-2.5*/aux/plugins/pf_ring/src/PF_RING.cc
40a41,48

char app_name[4] = “bro”;

if ( pfring_set_application_name(pd, app_name) != 0 )
{
Error(errno ? strerror(errno) : “unable to set app name”);
return;
}

48a57,68

/* Set default cluster type /
/
u_int clusterId = 1;
cluster_type cluster_hash_type = cluster_per_flow_5_tuple;

if ( pfring_set_cluster(pd, clusterId, cluster_hash_type) != 0 )
{
Error(errno ? strerror(errno) : “unable to set cluster mode”);
pfring_close(pd);
pd = NULL;
return;
}
*/

The issue related back to not having the cluster hash set and I believe it wouldn’t fire. Additionally the first snippet of code sets the app name, so when you cat /proc/net/pf_ring/.* you get “bro” out of it.

To note, I’m not a coder, so I’m happy I made it this far. There was some question if the cluster_type was necessary if you had the broctl.conf items in the the file - but I can’t remember the outcome of the test (but I believe the comment out I have of the cluster type was me testing it.

Does that help? I know I was able to get the module to work, but I think I had to include the above items to make it work. Additionally, there was some glitch that omited the PFRINGClusterID from teh broctl.conf due to a FreeBSD bug that said if PF_RING isn’t needed, don’t put that in there.

Mark