`bro-pkg install .` issue

Under step 6 of this documentation it shows that you can install a package with bro-pkg install ., but I’m having some issues doing that. I’ve attached a screenshot - anybody know why this would be happening?

Jon

At a glance, I don’t know what would cause that. You could try going through the full steps of the walkthrough you linked with a dummy package just to see if it works with a simpler package. If it doesn’t work with a simpler dummy package, that’s clearly a bug. Or generally feel free to open a github issue for this.

- Jon

I think I ran into the same issue when the local git repo was in a weird state.. like I hadn't committed yet, or hadn't created a tag yet.. so the git stuff that bro-pkg does got confused. Problem went away on its own once I had things more fleshed out.

Problem solved - user error, but with some follow-up.

At first, I thought bro-pkg install . was leveraging the local (./) directory structure, but instead it was using the local git repo, and assumed the master branch (not the current branch). If I run bro-pkg install . --version bro-pkg (which is the name of my git branch with the right bro-pkg.meta file) it works just fine.

Per a chat with Jon, I’ve opened this issue as a follow-on.

Jon