CentOS 8 Stream installation

Hello.

I’m trying to put together a couple Zeek instances on hardware that doesn’t support CentOS 7. I could install el7, but am afraid of it being unsupported on the architecture and possible problems that may arise. As well as any potential issues troubleshooting with the vendor.

I saw in the documentation that el8 is supported with rpm packages, but the repositories are empty and there is failed builds on Show security:zeek - openSUSE Build Service stating unresolvable issues.

What would be the recommendation to work around this? Or is there work on a newer release that successfully builds for el8? Our infrastructure is built primarily around supporting CentOS, and to an extent, rhel, so although we can rebuild with another OS, we’d like to try an avoid that.

Thanks!

Same issue here. We bypassed the issue using zeek lts repository for el7 but concerning to avoid this workaround.

Still issues in build service in opensuse lacking any build.

Thanks!

Hi,

this is apparently a current issue with the Opensuse build service - I pinged for a status update here: nothing provides cmake-filesystem(x86-64) = 3.20.2-4.el8 needed by cmake when trying to compile for CentOS Stream 8 - openSUSE Build Service - openSUSE Mailing Lists

Thank you,
Johanna

Hi Johanna,

We are still waiting for the issue with Centos Stream 8 to be resolved, but I am not sure why it still shows the same error message: [nothing provides cmake-filesystem(x86-64) = 3.20.2-4.el8 needed by cmake when trying to compile for CentOS Stream 8 - openSUSE Build Service - openSUSE Mailing Lists].

We tested our Centos Stream 8 machines and the expected cmake-filesystem(x86-64) = 3.20.2.4.el8 is already there.

Name : cmake-filesystem
Version : 3.20.2
Release : 4.el8
Architecture : x86_64
Size : 44 k
Source : cmake-3.20.2-4.el8.src.rpm
Repository : appstream

Thank you,
Julian

Hi,

this is not an issue with CentOS itself - it apparently is an issue with how the Opensuse Build Service (which we use to build RPMs) handles the way CentOS packages are broken up. This is explained a little bit in the linked thread, and the earlier thread it links to.

So - this will probably work fine on a normal CentOS installation, but since we use OBS to create packages for a variety of distributions, we have to wait for them to fit it.

Thank you,
Johanna

Understood.
We’ll wait until it shows resolved.

Thanks a lot!
Julian

Thank you very much for the replies and update. Glad to hear I wasn’t missing something somewhere for installing.

There has been a bit of progress on this on the OpenSUSE mailinglist: nothing provides cmake-filesystem(x86-64) = 3.20.2-4.el8 needed by cmake when trying to compile for CentOS Stream 8 - openSUSE Build Service - openSUSE Mailing Lists

If my understanding is right, this might actually be a problem on the CentOS side, where partially bugs are filed for this. If anyone has any close contacts to CentOS, it would be neat to poke them :slight_smile:

In other semi-related news - we do have successful builds of CentOS 7 again.

Since folks are still hitting this, I just wanted to recap the current status and the expanding link collection around this. I’m aware of two threads on the OBS list:

And here’s the corresponding ticket in the RedHat bugzilla:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2102548

Help regarding this continues to be very welcome. And just to be clear — source builds of Zeek work just fine on CentOS 8 Stream. We run them all the time in our CI. This is purely about binary packages built via OBS.

Thanks!
Christian