cmake repo/submodule

I'd like to reorganize all the CMake-related scripts of each repository (the cmake/ dirs) into it's own repository and then just have each repo use that as a submodule. The advantage of this is decreasing the burden of maintaining CMake script changes -- there's a lot of shared code between repos that are currently maintained separately. Disadvantages might be:

1) more submodule maintenance. I think we already understand well enough how do this that it's not going to be a problem, and maintaining submodules is much less of a burden than maintaining CMake scripts in each repo

2) initializing/updating at least this cmake module after cloning the parent repo will be required to configure/build it. This is only a problem for people that weren't cloning recursively, but to take care of it I'll just make the ./configure scripts do the cmake/ submodule initialization if it sees nothing's there.

Anyone think of a reason not to go forward with that plan?

(This could wait until release-after-next, but it's been nagging at me lately).

- Jon

I'd like to reorganize all the CMake-related scripts of each
repository (the cmake/ dirs) into it's own repository and then just
have each repo use that as a submodule.

That's a very good thought.

1) more submodule maintenance.
2) initializing/updating at least this cmake module after cloning

Both sound fine to me.

(This could wait until release-after-next, but it's been nagging at me lately).

I'd rather do it now than later. How much work do you estimate this
reorg to be?

Robin

I'd rather do it now than later. How much work do you estimate this
reorg to be?

Probably just a day or two; mostly shuffling files around and testing that I didn't break anything. I'll start on it this afternoon.

- Jon

It's done now in all the masters. A regular `git pull` alone at this point is not going to be enough for anyone to make their local clones work again, make sure to also do `git submodule update --recursive --init`

- Jon