Problems installing from binaries debian 11 (opensuse sources -> ubuntu22 ref)

I am testing zeek to install on Debian 11 machines. I prefer to do it with the binaries for speed and practicality. I have added the opensuse repository as the tutorial says, and I notice that it refers to Ubuntu 22. Following the tutorial I get errors of missing or outdated libraries similar to the ones posted here:

But I don’t use Kali but Debian 11.

I would like to know if there is in that opensuse repository a section for Debian that solves these problems, or which is the suggested method. At the moment I am trying the option to compile the source, but I see that it takes much longer than the option with binaries. I would like to fix that so I can test it on several computers at the same time. thanks a lot!

Hey @malbor,

I have added the opensuse repository as the tutorial says, and I notice that it refers to Ubuntu 22.

Could you possibly provide a link to the tutorial. Is this in Zeek’s documentation? If you’re using Debian 11 you should choose the repositories for Debian 11, not Ubuntu 22.

Following the tutorial I get errors of missing or outdated libraries similar to the ones posted here:

It would be best if you could post the errors you’re observing. I’ve just attempted to install the Zeek 6.0 binary packages in a Debian 11.6 container and that has worked without issues.

Try this link, scroll down and follow "You can download the “packages for the latest feature release build here”, choose Debian and use the instructions for Debian 11 to add the repository to your system.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Hi awelzel .! Thank you very much for taking the time to answer me. I am very interested in Zeek because of its simplicity. I need a software that generates logs like zeek does, and then I can put it in my own database/application. I just need to interpret those logs well.
As for the issue mentioned, I probably haven’t read the documentation properly.
From here I followed the steps :

https://docs.zeek.org/en/master/install.html#binary-packages

As you will see in the repositories it refers to Ubuntu. I noticed it, but I imagined some compatibility between Ubuntu and Debian, but it didn’t work. Unfortunately I didn’t save a screenshot of that error.

I tried to follow your instructions, but honestly I didn’t find the part you kindly mention in your message.

Then I found this other tutorial:

Although it talks about an old version of Zeek, I was finally able to install version 6 from binaries!

So, I reiterate my thanks for your collaboration. I don’t know if you are a volunteer or part of Zeek , but I would like to suggest you could put in the official documentation how to change those repository urls for a couple of linux distros other than Ubuntu. I think it would be useful for novice users like me. Thanks again.